15 January 2021
Dear Muizenberg High family
We wish each and every one a prosperous and healthy 2021. As we embark on our educational partnership for 2021, our purpose remains to prioritize quality teaching and learning in a safe environment. To this end, we are looking forward to engage with our students and to create opportunities for them to grow and expand their horizons.
You may be aware that the NCCC recommended a postponement of the reopening of the schools, and the DBE subsequently briefed the nation this morning. The speech made by Deputy minister Mhaule at the media briefing this morning has suggested return dates. The DBE must now give directives (gazetted decisions and protocols) to the provinces and the schools, which will be received from the WCED via email.
It is in this light that I appeal to us as a school and parent body to exercise restraint and await the directives when officially issued. In the past, different schools have acted and reacted to news reports or simply on presidential commentary without waiting for the official directives to be issued.
Please note that the dates mentioned by Deputy minister Mhaule must now be gazetted and formulated in directives for schools to follow. We have not officially received any date changes yet, and will advise you of any changes as soon as we do.
The education of our children remains our mandate and priority and we will ensure that no child is left behind. We will communicate to you as soon as we receive communication directly from WCED. Please make sure that we have your updated cell phone numbers and email addresses. We will continue sending information via the SMS system and emails.
We wish you all the best. Please take care and stay safe.
Download the above letter by clicking below
MUIZENBERG HIGH NEWSLETTER – 26 OCTOBER 2020
202O PARENT BUDGET MEETING: WEDNESDAY 11 NOVEMBER 2020
The budget meeting for 2021 will be held on 11 November 2020 at 19:00 in the school hall. The budget is available for your perusal at the front office. Please diarise this important date.
TERM 3 REPORTS:
Grade 8 and 9: The reports will not indicate term 2 results as per the education department adjusted teaching plans.
Grade 10 and 11: As per the education department adjusted teaching plans some subjects will not have a term 2 result.
Grade 12: Term 1, 2 and 3 are resulted.
Grade 8-11 reports will be issued the first week of term 4.
Please study the results and pay special attention to the subjects underlined in red.
Term 2 and 3 have been academically challenging for both learners and teaching staff but with perseverance and hard work assessments have been completed. The blended teaching model enables learners to keep working at home on Google Classrooms on days when they do not attend school.
TEST TIMETABLE FOR TERM 4:
There will be no end of the year examination for Grades 8-11. All grades will write tests that will be scheduled during the term. Test timetables will be issued early next term but please note the following:
- Completed year work (school based assessments) for each subject can be crucial for decisions about promotion and progression at the end of the year.
- Teaching and learning will take place up to the last week of term 4.
- Learners cannot afford to stay home once they have written the term tests as teaching will continue to ensure that learners are academically ready for 2021.
- Absenteeism, unless for illness, or according to the COVID-19 protocols, must be discouraged. Teaching happens every day and learners lose out on valuable teaching and learning if they stay home.
GRADE 12 : EXTRA LESSONS, VALEDICTORY AND PRIZEGIVING:
The short break is merely an opportunity for the Grade 12’s to prepare for their final examinations. The learners received their scripts and the staff guided the learners on the areas they need to focus on.
EXTRA LESSONS: There will be MATHEMATICS extra lessons on TUESDAY (27/10) AND WEDNESDAY (28/10) from 9:00 until 12:00 at school. Mr Basvi and Mr Cupido has availed their time to conduct these lessons. Please ensure that your child arrives on time for the lessons.
Many of the staff will support the learners via Google Classrooms. Please make use of the opportunity and encourage the learners to engage with their teachers on this platform. Our students have access to the staff email addresses.
VALEDICTORY AND PRIZEGIVING:
- On Monday 2 November 2020 the Grade 12’s and their subject teachers will celebrate the valedictory and prizegiving from 9:00 until 11:00.
- As we will adhere to the COVID-19 protocols unfortunately no parents can be accommodated inside the hall.
- We, however, wish to invite the parents to join us in the VALEDICTORY LANE around the circle. The parents may arrive from 10:15 and you will be asked to park on the West field. The staff will be there to assist and guide you. Please do not park outside the gate and in Dover or Windermere Road.
Summer uniform can be worn from the first day of term 4. Girls can wear tunics (regulation length) but if trousers are worn, ties must be worn. No beanies may be worn.
THE SCHOOL WILL FOLLOW THE SAME TIMETABLE AS THE TERM 3 TIMETABLE. The week as from 2 November, will be DAY 1.
My prayer is that all our learners have a good break and return safely to school. Please take care.
Archived Letters from the principal